UTAH HIGH SCHOOL HONOR STUDENT IN COMA AFTER PHARMACY ERROR

Earlier this week a story on ksl.com, a Utah television station, reported that an eighteen-year-old honor student received a potentially lethal dose of oxycodone for strep throat and has been in a coma since April 30. The teen, Jessie Scott of Draper, Utah, was given a teaspoon of concentrated oxycodone hydrochloride for pain due to strep throat, when the actual prescription called for a five-milligram dose. The Wal-Mart pharmacy that filled the prescription, was supposed to dilute the concentrated medication before dispensing it to Jessie, but it failed to do so. Jessie received 20 times’ the prescribed dosage due to Wal-Mart’s negligence. As of a result of the pharmacy’s horrific error, a few hours after taking the lethal dose, Jessie Smith’s organs began to fail, he was placed on a ventilator, and one of his lungs collapsed.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Jessie Scott and his family.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *